Monday, April 20, 2015

Attempts at a Tentmaker Design

On Friday I'll share more of the project I was working on in the Jenny Bowker class, but I just wanted to share one more exercise we did in the class.  One of the things Jenny encouraged us to do was try our hand at designing a tentmaker style piece.  The symmetrical ones are drawn as an 1/8th or 1/16th of a circle, and she showed us how to fold up our papers to draw them.  Really similar to our tile exercises, just with bigger blocks, more detail, and the intention of having only four "blocks" to make one symmetrical piece.  Here's the block I made, and last night I finally sat down in photoshop and colored it in.   I'm not planning to make it into a quilt, but it was really fun to draw and then see what happened when I repeated it, and I think the design is pretty.




This is what it looks like if you turn the outside corners to the inside (and with slightly different colors).  Still neat, but not quilt the original design idea I was going for.


And here's another one the real Tentmaker pieces that Jenny showed us (way! more complicated than mine).







1 comment:

  1. Wow - that is cool. I love the tentmaker piece and yours has just the right feel to it. I would make it! (Except, of course, that I wouldn't have the skills :-))

    ReplyDelete