Friday, November 8, 2013

in nomine Patris: Finished!

Today, more on my Text Art Quilt.  Without further ado, here's the final quilt.


in nomine Patris c. Shannon Conley 2013 24" x 29"

The text color isn't yellow but gold, the color in this picture is a bit off.  The next picture shows it more true to life.

My artist statement reads: "This quilt was inspired by medieval illuminated prayer books, specifically the Small Book of Hours of the Duke of Berry and the Book of Hours of the Marshal of Boucicaut. I’m drawn to the slowness of the text in these works, the deliberate nature of line and character which, when combined with the unfamiliar Latin, merge to form pictorial prayers. Such a contrast to the transient, careless treatment we so often give text today. What sentiments are worthy of such lasting treatment? Adoration, supplication, meditation? Here, in tribute to the home of my heart, are rhythmic excerpts from the Psalms of David, “O Lord, thou wilt open my lips and my mouth shall declare thy praise” [Ps 50(51):17] and “I have lifted up my eyes to the mountains, from whence help shall come to me” [Ps 120(121):1].

The piece is constructed from fabrics of all types, commercial cottons, brocades, satins etc.


in Nomine Patris, detail


in Nomine Patris, detail

One of the things that most intrigues me about Medieval illuminated manuscripts is the way that all of the excess space is filled with what you might call really really beautiful doodling.  I feel like this is one of the things that makes an illuminated manuscript style feel so amenable to interpretation in quilting.


in Nomine Patris, detail

Of course a primary feature of illuminated manuscripts are highly detailed Initials.  The D here is a combination of fabric (the red and gold), three different silkscreens (green, silver, and blue) and quilting with about seven different colors of thread.  The leaves in the border are silk screened (green and blue) and fabric (brown/green).


in Nomine Patris, detail

Two more initials, both of these entirely free-motion quilted.



in Nomine Patris, detail
 And the mountain.

This piece has a special place in my heart and will likely be the first in a series.  I'm really drawn to this style, and hope it transmits the feelings to the world that I get when I see it.  It's going to be shown as part of the Text Messages show at a variety of venues (in addition to IQF) so I'll post when I know more.

9 comments:

  1. WOW!!! The design and the obvious skill you have completing this project took my breath away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is truly beautiful! Your workmanship looks to be impeccable. How did you do the lettering?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is incredible! I have a journal with a cover from one of those manuscripts and I absolutely adore it. It lends itself beautifully to quilting and you did a magnificent job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Shannon,

    If this is what you do for In Nomine Patris, then Amen will be beyond sublime.

    Love from England,
    Muv

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shannon: Another stunning work! I have studied a lot of art history - specifically the Limbourg brothers and their book of hours. Incredible work. I missed you at SAQA event at IQF... I ended up leaving early. Sorry we didn't get to meet. I did buy TWO of your awesome pet postcards for the fundraiser. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I've been away from 'Blog Land' for about two weeks, so I am slowly going though all the posts of the blogs I follow, in chronological order. Yesterday I saw your work in progress and thought it was beautiful. Today I am looking at the completed project and it is stunning. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful!!! Definitely a work of art.

    ReplyDelete