Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving

I'm so happy to get to be with my family in New Mexico for this holiday.  As much as I complain about the hubbub and chaos (and there's a lot of it), I'm just grateful I have such a loving family to generate it!

This is a piece of hand embroidery that has been my take-along project these last couple of months.  The leaf patter is one of Carina's.  She has a ton of fabulous embroidery patterns, you should check out her shop Polka and Bloom.  I used crewel wool embroidery thread (yarn?) and did a sampler of stitches in the leaves.  In the end, that thread was a bit thick for some of the stitches and leaves, but I think it turned out fun anyway.  It's mounted on stretcher bars with a layer of batting.  I'm not really thrilled with that method and don't think I'll do it again- it give an overall puffiness I don't really care for.

The writing says "Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower" which is an Albert Camus quote (according to wikipedia).  I actually like autumn much better than spring but the idea of falling leaves as akin to flowers makes me happy.







Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

  1. That take along piece is stunning! Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete