Friday, September 6, 2013

Finished! Taming the Gorgons

I'm so excited to share this recent finish.  It was made for a black and white and one color show to replace my disastrous first attempt at the identity quilt, and was previously glimpsed here and here.  I have actually gone back and done another quilt based on that original identity concept which I hope to share next week.

The design was based on Greek architectural elements and is constructed out of a variety of gold apparel fabrics (the background is cotton).  I used cutaway trapunto to make the gold elements stand out and give the quilt dimension.   The background quilting is done with metallic silk thread as well as regular threads.  I love the curviness and sweeping arcs in the central design and tried to echo those in the quilting.  It's finished off with gold piping and a black and white binding that matches the quilt background.

I named the quilt "Taming the Gorgons" because the large sprouting feathers at the top reminded me of a calm, civilized version of the snake haired Medusa, one of the three monstrous Gorgon sisters of Greek myth.

I love the sparkly shiny nature of the gold apparel fabrics, for more on how I work with them, you can check out my previous posts.  Just keep your fingers crossed that it gets accepted into the show!

Taming the Gorgons, c. Shannon Conley 2013, 18" x 24"







Linking up with TGIFF, Richard and Tanya Quilts, and the unparalleled Off the Wall Friday over at Nina-Marie's

8 comments:

  1. I love this quilt. Especially the use of those metallic fabrics and the texture that they add to the piece. The freemotion in the background in gold suits it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful quilt work and the trapunto really works well in this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, the gold work is exciting! The line is exciting too. Great work
    LeeAnna Paylor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breath-taking and I particularly like the quilting in the dark sections. Very elegant.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely stunning. I love both the concept and the execution. This is my most favorite quilt l have seen in some time. Love it, love it, love it. Oh, did l mention that l love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. An elegant piece, indeed! All of your quilting in the gold and in the black give it so much life and dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Challenge accepted and mastered. It's beautiful! Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete