Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Clothes Sewing

A while back I bought some cute denim intending to make a denim panel skirt.  I finally got around to it a couple weeks back and decided that I'd put some cute embroidery on it as well.  I wanted it to be fairly neutral to go with lots of things, so I kept the embroideries tone on tone.  The embroidery pattern is from urban threads, my favorite embroidery source.  The skirt wasn't made from a pattern, just google panel skirt and you'll get tutorials. The denim has just a bit of stretch, making it very comfortable. I love the way it turned out, the only thing I'd change if I made another one is to add a couple pockets.





Then last week, I found some cute striped stretchy fabric on clearance and thought I'd take the dive into sewing with knits, which I've never done.  I used McCalls 6513.   The top came out ok, but I had a really hard time with the hem.  The hem along the neckline in particular still rolls back, exposing the edge.  I used my twin needle, but that wasn't enough I guess.  I think part of the problem is that the fabric is very thin and floppy. Provided I can get the top neckline seam fixed though, I think it's wearable, if not my most successful garment.  The stripes are pretty stripey, so I picked up some more cute non-directional knit fabric on clearance the other day so I can try again with something a bit calmer.




What has been your experience sewing with knits?  Any tips?

4 comments:

  1. Cute! I like the side panels on the shirt. I think I'll have to check out that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't sewn garments in quite awhile. Your skirt is so cute and you did a great job with the striped jersey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your top came out nice, sewing with knits is always a bit problematic with me too! No matter what I do the hems seem to roll.

    ReplyDelete